Import order question

Tim Chase python.list at tim.thechases.com
Tue Feb 18 17:17:48 EST 2014

On 2014-02-19 08:49, Chris Angelico wrote:
> > Are you telling me you're willing to search through a single
> > file containing 3,734 lines of code (yes, Tkinter) looking
> > for a method named "destroy" of a class named "OptionMenu"
>
> At my last job, I had a single C++ file of roughly 5K lines, and
> it wasn't at all unmanageable. Probably wouldn't have been a
> problem to have another order of magnitude on that. What sort of
> wimpy text editor are you using that you can't find what you're
> looking for in a single large file?

Even the venerable "ed" handles files of those sizes without batting
an eye.  I just opened a 2MB XML file (50k lines) in ed and jumped
all around in it with no trouble at all.  It's as simple as

  1;/class OptionMenu/;/def destroy/

in most cases.  If your editor can't help you do simple things like
that, I recommend you find an editor that is at least as good as
ed. :-)

-tkc