Welcome to the Internet. No one here likes you. (was: Newcomer Help)

Larry Martell larry.martell at gmail.com
Thu Feb 13 13:03:04 EST 2014

On Thu, Feb 13, 2014 at 12:49 PM, John Ladasky
<john_ladasky at sbcglobal.net> wrote:
> On Thursday, February 13, 2014 8:32:46 AM UTC-8, Larry.... at gmail.com wrote:
>
>> This reminds me of post that was circulating in the early 90's:
>>
>> Welcome to the Internet.
>>
>> No one here likes you.
>>
>> We're going to offend, insult, abuse, and belittle the living hell out
>> of you. And when you rail against us with "FUCK YOU YOU GEEK WIMP
>> SKATER GOTH LOSER PUNK FAG BITCH!1!!", we smile to ourselves. We laugh
>> at you because you don't get it. Then we turn up the heat, hoping to
>> draw more entertainment from your irrational fuming.
> [snip]
>
> Ummm... Larry, I hope you are just posting this rant because Rustom Mody's remarks reminded you of it.

Yes, that is why I posted it.

> I hope that you do not personally subscribe to this behavior.

No, not any more. But that rant is a somewhat tongue in cheek look
back at how things were back in the day.

> Yes, I too was a bullied nerd when I was young.  I don't use my history as an excuse to do unto others what was done unto me.  No one should.  No one should bully another person, period.  It's not "entertainment," it's a deeply harmful practice, and does not deserve any respect.

Back in the day I was both a major flamer and flamee. I did enjoy
being the flamer and I laughed at being flamed. And I don't equate
that with being bullied in any way (which I was when I was a kid). But
I am older and kinder nowadays and have better things to do with my
time.