Fwd: Newcomer Help

Ned Deily nad at acm.org
Mon Feb 10 20:19:31 EST 2014

In article <675340207.6922848.1392048622415.JavaMail.root at okbu.edu>,
 Walter Hughey <wkhughey at gmail.com> wrote:

> I am new to Python programming, actually new to any programming language. I
> sent the email below to the "pythonmac-sig at python.org a few days ago. So far
> I have not seen a reply, actually, I have not seen anything from pythonmac in
> any emails although I am supposed to be a member.

That's too bad!  It may be that your email is being held for moderation
on the list, especially if you haven't subscribed or are just
subscribing.

> I don't know if I am sending these to the correct place or if I am not
> receiving emails from the pythonmac list. I would appreciate any assistance
> either in how do I get to the pythonmac list or answers to the issue below. I
> went to the pythonmac list because I am trying to run Python 3.3 on a Mac
> computer.
>

> Thank you,
>

> Walter

That should work. Just to be sure, here are the URLs for the current
ActiveTcl and python.org 3.3 installers for OS X 10.6.

http://downloads.activestate.com/ActiveTcl/releases/8.5.15.0/ActiveTcl8.5
.15.1.297588-macosx10.5-i386-x86_64-threaded.dmg
http://www.python.org/ftp/python/3.3.4/python-3.3.4-macosx10.6.dmg

Make sure you have quit IDLE before installing both.  After installing,
go to the /Applications/Python 3.3 folder and double-click on the IDLE
icon.  You should not see the "(8.5.7) may be unstable" message.  As
others have noted, though, you could use another editor and just run
python3.3 from a Terminal window command line:

/usr/local/bin/python3.3 your_filename_here.py

Good luck!

--
 Ned Deily,
 nad at acm.org