What are the kinds of software that are not advisable to be developed using Python?

Steven D'Aprano steve+comp.lang.python at pearwood.info
Sat Feb 8 22:43:47 EST 2014

On Sat, 08 Feb 2014 21:53:00 -0500, Roy Smith wrote:

> In article <a584b0e9-1995-4189-bfac-d0c5ffc080c9 at googlegroups.com>,
>  Sam <lightaiyee at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> I got to know about Python a few months ago and today, I want to
>> develop only using Python because of its code readability. This is not
>> a healthy bias. To play my own devil's advocate, I have a question.
>> What are the kinds of software that are not advisable to be developed
>> using Python?
>
> If execution speed is the most important thing, Python would be the
> wrong choice.

PyPy can generate code which is comparable to compiled C in speed.
Perhaps you mean, "if execution speed is the most important thing, using
a naive Python interpreter may not be fast enough".

https://github.com/kivy/python-for-android
https://ep2013.europython.eu/conference/talks/developing-android-apps-completely-in-python
https://python-for-android.readthedocs.org/en/latest/
http://qpython.com/

> If, for security/business reasons, shipping only the executable, without
> the end user having access to your original source, Python would be the
> wrong language.

Security by obscurity.

Nevertheless, although security by obscurity is ineffective[1], Python
supports it. You can ship only the .pyc files. For added obscurity, you
could put the .pyc files in a .zip file and ship that. For even more
obscurity, you could write a custom importer, and then ship your python
byte-code hidden in a mp3 or TIFF file.

[1] Shipping only compiled executables hasn't made Windows any more
secure, prevented viruses and malware from taking advantage of zero-day
exploits, or prevented software piracy.

--
Steven