Why use _mysql module and not use MySQLdb directly?

Asaf Las roegltd at gmail.com
Sat Feb 8 06:32:30 EST 2014

On Saturday, February 8, 2014 1:25:15 PM UTC+2, Chris Angelico wrote:
> On Sat, Feb 8, 2014 at 10:09 PM, Asaf Las <r... at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > I used this one from Oracle and it was OK for simple test case and
> > supports from 2.6 till 3.3:
> > http://dev.mysql.com/doc/connector-python/en/index.html
> > https://pypi.python.org/pypi/mysql-connector-python/1.1.5
> > yet there is page to bunch of others but i have never tried them:
> > https://wiki.python.org/moin/MySQL
>
> > Are there hidden issues about Oracle provided connector?
>
> I don't know. The first thing I'd look for is compatibility with the
> Python Database API. I flipped through the docs without finding
> anything obvious either direction; it seems to be similar, at least,
> but it's not declaring that it complies, which I would have thought
> would be an important boast.
> Also check for platform availability. If one package is available on
> Linux, Mac, Windows, and myriad others, and the other is available on
> only a few platforms, that's a mark in favour of the first. But I
> suspect that won't be an issue with most of what you'll find.
>
> My suspicion, without any proof, is that it's going to come down to a
> matter of taste, or maybe some tangential features. The core will most
> likely work just fine with pretty much any module you choose to use.
> ChrisA

Hi Chris
The doc says
https://pypi.python.org/pypi/mysql-connector-python/1.1.5

MySQL driver written in Python which does not depend on MySQL C
client libraries and implements the DB API v2.0 specification (PEP-249).

it is pure one and confirms to PEP. though of course i can't say for sure
any side impact.

/Asaf