Why use _mysql module and not use MySQLdb directly?

Chris Angelico rosuav at gmail.com
Sat Feb 8 06:25:15 EST 2014

On Sat, Feb 8, 2014 at 10:09 PM, Asaf Las <roegltd at gmail.com> wrote:
> I used this one from Oracle and it was OK for simple test case and
> supports from 2.6 till 3.3:
> http://dev.mysql.com/doc/connector-python/en/index.html
> https://pypi.python.org/pypi/mysql-connector-python/1.1.5
>

> yet there is page to bunch of others but i have never tried them:
> https://wiki.python.org/moin/MySQL
>
> Are there hidden issues about Oracle provided connector?

I don't know. The first thing I'd look for is compatibility with the
Python Database API. I flipped through the docs without finding
anything obvious either direction; it seems to be similar, at least,
but it's not declaring that it complies, which I would have thought
would be an important boast.

Also check for platform availability. If one package is available on
Linux, Mac, Windows, and myriad others, and the other is available on
only a few platforms, that's a mark in favour of the first. But I
suspect that won't be an issue with most of what you'll find.

My suspicion, without any proof, is that it's going to come down to a
matter of taste, or maybe some tangential features. The core will most
likely work just fine with pretty much any module you choose to use.

ChrisA