Finding size of Variable

Ayushi Dalmia ayushidalmia2604 at gmail.com
Wed Feb 5 01:00:44 EST 2014

On Wednesday, February 5, 2014 11:15:09 AM UTC+5:30, Rustom Mody wrote:
> On Wednesday, February 5, 2014 11:05:05 AM UTC+5:30, Ayushi Dalmia wrote:
>
> > This also doesn't gives the true size. I did the following:
>

> > import sys
>
> > data=[]
>
> > f=open('stopWords.txt','r')
>

> > for line in f:
>
> >     line=line.split()
>
> >     data.extend(line)
>

> > print sys.getsizeof(data)
>

> > where stopWords.txt is a file of size 4KB
>

> Try getsizeof("".join(data))
>

> General advice:
>
> - You have been recommended (by Chris??) that you should use a database
>
> - You say you cant use a database (for whatever reason)
>

> Now the fact is you NEED database (functionality)
>
> How to escape this catch-22 situation?
>
> In computer science its called somewhat sardonically "Greenspun's 10th rule"
>

> And the best way out is to
>

> 1 isolate those aspects of database functionality you need
>
> 2 temporarily forget about your original problem and implement the dbms
>
> (subset of) DBMS functionality you need
>
> 3 Use 2 above to implement 1

Hello Rustum,

Thanks for the enlightenment. I did not know about the Greenspun's Tenth rule. It is interesting to know that. However, it is an academic project and not a research one. Hence I donot have the liberty to choose what to work with. Life is easier with databases though, but I am not allowed to use them. Thanks for the tip. I will try to replicate those functionality.