Finding size of Variable

Rustom Mody rustompmody at gmail.com
Wed Feb 5 00:45:09 EST 2014

On Wednesday, February 5, 2014 11:05:05 AM UTC+5:30, Ayushi Dalmia wrote:
> This also doesn't gives the true size. I did the following:

> import sys
> data=[]
> f=open('stopWords.txt','r')

> for line in f:
>     line=line.split()
>     data.extend(line)

> print sys.getsizeof(data)

> where stopWords.txt is a file of size 4KB

Try getsizeof("".join(data))

General advice:
- You have been recommended (by Chris??) that you should use a database
- You say you cant use a database (for whatever reason)

Now the fact is you NEED database (functionality)
How to escape this catch-22 situation?
In computer science its called somewhat sardonically "Greenspun's 10th rule"

And the best way out is to

1 isolate those aspects of database functionality you need
2 temporarily forget about your original problem and implement the dbms
(subset of) DBMS functionality you need
3 Use 2 above to implement 1