[OT] Usage of U+00B6 PILCROW SIGN

Terry Reedy tjreedy at udel.edu
Tue Feb 4 18:00:59 EST 2014

On 2/4/2014 1:20 PM, Ned Batchelder wrote:

>  >
>> Useless and really ugly.
>
> I'm not sure why you would describe it as useless?

Because, as we should all know by now, when Jim says 'useless', he means
'useless to me, according to my unusual notions of personal usefulness'.
He, apparently, does not intend to ever use the pilcrow to get a section
link, nor does he care about being able to click on such links presented
by others.

> It's incredibly useful to have a way to link to a particular section.

For many people, but not for Jim. Either he does not care about
usefulness to others, or he is completely oblivious to how idiosyncratic
his personal idea of usefulness is. In either case, it is useless to
argue against his personal opinion. He should, however, add 'to me'
since most people take 'useless' in the collective sense.

> And ugly? It's a UI that is invisible and unobtrusive, but then elegant
> once you hover over the element you are interested in.

Having it pop up and disappear when one does not want it and will not
use it is not pretty. When scrolling with a mouse wheel, that does happen.

> I guess tastes differ...  Lots of sites use this technique, it is not
> particular to the Python docs.

Irrelevant to Jim.

--
Terry Jan Reedy