very weird pandas behavior

Dave Angel davea at davea.name
Sun Dec 21 20:40:00 EST 2014

On 12/21/2014 08:01 PM, ryguy7272 wrote:
> On Saturday, December 20, 2014 10:46:40 AM UTC-5, ryguy7272 wrote:
>> I downloaded pandas and put it in my python directory, then, at the C-prompt, I ran this:
>> "pip install pandas"
>>
>> It looks like everything downloaded and installed fine.  Great.
>>
>> Now, in Python Shell, I enter this:
>> import pandas as pd
>>
>> I get this error.
>> Traceback (most recent call last):
>>    File "<pyshell#19>", line 1, in <module>
>>      import pandas as pd
>> ImportError: No module named pandas
>>

>> Any idea what I'm doing wrong?
>

> Sorry for being so dense here guys!!  I do tons and tons of work with VBA, VB, C#, SQL, R, Matlab, and a little work with Pascal.
 > I guess that's preventing me from understanding how Python works.
Sorry, but I just don't understand this thing.

Have you tried reading and responding to the advice you get?  Or do you
just pick and choose?

>  I uninstalled Python27 and just reinstalled it.

What did you do with the other Python versions that you still haven't
said whether you have?

>  I open the cmd prompt, and entered two short commands: 'pip install numpy' & 'pip install pandas'.

And they got "command not found" errors, right?  After all, you haven't
installed PIP yet.  Or if you have, it might be left over from some
other version of Python.

Have you read anything about PIP?  Have you read the web page:
    https://pypi.python.org/pypi/pip/

Perhaps you could try:
     pip show --files numpy

and see where they got installed.  Are they the same place as the Python
2.7 you just installed?

>  Then, I got to Python Shell and enter this: 'import numpy' & 'import pandas'.  immediately I get errors.
>
> Traceback (most recent call last):
>    File "<pyshell#2>", line 1, in <module>
>      import numpy
> ImportError: No module named numpy
>
> Traceback (most recent call last):
>    File "<pyshell#3>", line 1, in <module>
>      import pandas
> ImportError: No module named pandas
>
> I guess if I can't do something simple, I can't do anything complex...or anything at all.

If I had any confidence that you were always running the same version of
Python, from the same installation, then I could suggest more stuff,
like checking out sys.path and comparing it to the place where PIP
installed things.

--
DaveA