very weird pandas behavior

Chris Angelico rosuav at gmail.com
Sun Dec 21 20:15:56 EST 2014

On Mon, Dec 22, 2014 at 12:01 PM, ryguy7272 <ryanshuell at gmail.com> wrote:
> Part of the problem is, I don't know why in 2014 we're entering commands in the C-prompt to run a Windows program.  I thought all of that stuff was over in the very early 1990s.  Also, I can't understand why Python can't download this from the Internet.

You're expecting a GUI to let you pick stuff to install? That probably
exists... as a wrapper around the terminal commands. The command line
has never died, and never will. (I dream of futuristic voice-activated
spaceship computers that respond to "Computer! Console." by revealing
a keyboard and screen with a login prompt.)

Python can download this from the internet; in fact, that's exactly
what the "pip install numpy" command does. However, you have to be
explicit. You don't want the simple "import numpy" command to go and
install some third-party software; that would mean that mistyping it
as "import numpt" would also attempt to install something new, and
immediately run it. That's dangerous, costly (network requests can
take a long time), and definitely not a good idea.

What happened when you ran the 'pip install' lines? Also, what is the
output of 'pip --version' and 'python --version'?

ChrisA