newbie: installing setuptools

Surbhi Gupta surbhi.2388 at gmail.com
Fri Dec 19 01:27:47 EST 2014

On Friday, December 19, 2014 10:13:15 AM UTC+5:30, Surbhi Gupta wrote:
> Hey, I am new to python and facing problem with installing packages. I am using VPython which requires Python 2.7.x from python.org; it will not work with versions of Python other than the one from python.org. So I need to install packages separately.
>
> I was trying to install scipy-0.14.0, it gives following error:
> Warning (from warnings module):
>   File "C:\Python27\lib\distutils\dist.py", line 267
>     warnings.warn(msg)
> UserWarning: Unknown distribution option: 'test_suite'
>
> So I thought maybe I need to install setuptools first. I ran setup.py file in IDLE. it runs fine and then I can import it in current session. But when I run session, it still says 'no module named setuptools'. Same thing happened when I tried to install nose.

OK, the problem is now resolved: I just found out that we need to install from prompt instead of IDLE.
Setuptools is installed, but I am not able to use easy_install from prompt. It says:
easy_install : The term 'easy_install' is not recognized as the name of a cmdlet, function, script file, or operable
program. Check the spelling of the name, or if a path was included, verify that the path is correct and try again.
At line:1 char:1
+ easy_install
    + CategoryInfo          : ObjectNotFound: (easy_install:String) [], CommandNotFoundException
    + FullyQualifiedErrorId : CommandNotFoundException

still unsuccessful in installing Scipy.