[Python-Dev] Python 2.x and 3.x use survey, 2014 edition

Matthew Ruffalo mmr15 at case.edu
Fri Dec 12 14:41:13 EST 2014

On 12/11/2014 09:48 PM, Terry Reedy wrote:
> A possible reason: one is developing an app expected to be released
> fall 2015 after the 3.5 release and the app depends on something new
> in 3.5.  I must admit though that I cannot think of any such thing now
> for 3.5.  For 3.3 there was the new unicode, which was first committed
> about a year before release.  For 3.4, there was asyncio, but it was
> not committed until beta1, and was hardly usable then.
>
> So it was a defensible position.  Anyone who would check 3.5 could
> just as well check 3.4 and have most of the same impact on the summary.
The NumPy and SciPy developers who are implementing support for PEP 465
('@' as a dedicated matrix multiplication operator) will likely want to
test against a development version of 3.5 at some point. Using 3.5 isn't
strictly required, though, since supporting the @ operator is mostly a
matter of implementing the new __matmul__ methods and one can test those
by calling them directly instead of using the new operator.

MMR...