Do you like the current design of python.org?

Cameron Simpson cs at zip.com.au
Thu Dec 11 16:55:53 EST 2014

On 11Dec2014 00:19, Ian Kelly <ian.g.kelly at gmail.com> wrote:
>On Tue, Dec 9, 2014 at 10:16 PM, Cameron Simpson <cs at zip.com.au> wrote:
>>  - the AA menu buttons are all dysfunctional, being purely javascript; it
>would be better if the menu was styled "display=none" by default, and made
>visible by javascript
>
>With Javascript enabled, the AA menu buttons don't seem to be displayed at
>all, so I don't understand what the purpose of those is.

The point is more that with javascript disabled, the buttons are displayed and
nonfunctional.

>> There are also the disappointingly common placeholder characters in
>various place, for example to the left of each item in the "Socialize"
>menu. These look like this:
>>
>>  <li class="tier-2 element-1" role="treeitem"><a  href="
>http://plus.google.com/+Python"><span aria-hidden="true"
>
>I don't know what you mean. Are you saying that you see unrendered HTML to
>the left of the items? All I see are icons.

Along with javascript, the NoScript extension blocks various untrusted objects.
Those icons come from a loadable font, which was blocked. If I allow the font
to load I get icons. You can imagine the abuse a font load can be used for,
such as "I can't unsee that!" icon characters or better still, character
transliteration for malicious purpose (we rely on the visual appearance of
glyphs to be what we expect).

Cheers,
Cameron Simpson <cs at zip.com.au>

If people were meant to run around naked, they'd have been born that way.
        - Rico the Masher, bpheintz at ucsvax.ucs.umass.edu