Python 2.x and 3.x use survey, 2014 edition

Ben Finney ben+python at benfinney.id.au
Thu Dec 11 16:32:02 EST 2014

"Giampaolo Rodola'" <g.rodola at gmail.com> writes:

> I still think the only *real* obstacle remains the lack of important
> packages such as twisted, gevent and pika which haven't been ported
> yet.

What disqualifies other obstacles from being “*real* obstacles”? How do
you determine that?

> With those ones ported switching to Python 3 *right now* is not only
> possible and relatively easy, but also convenient.

If my program relies on an obscure library ‘foo’, and that library is
not ported to Python 3, switching to Python 3 is not feasible, and
certainly not convenient — regardless of the status of “important
packages such as twisted, gevent, and pika”.

So your assertion here is plainly false.

What is it you're actually wanting to say?

--
 \        “Some people, when confronted with a problem, think ‘I know, |
  `\       I'll use regular expressions’. Now they have two problems.” |