Do you like the current design of python.org?

Cameron Simpson cs at zip.com.au
Wed Dec 10 00:16:10 EST 2014

On 05Dec2014 18:05, Ian Kelly <ian.g.kelly at gmail.com> wrote:
>On Fri, Dec 5, 2014 at 3:43 AM, Steven D'Aprano <
>steve+comp.lang.python at pearwood.info> wrote:
>> It requires Javascript or else basic functionality fails.
>
>In what way does basic functionality fail? I just tried loading the page
>with Javascript disabled and it seemed fine.

Hmm. Loading https://www.python.org/download/releases/2.2/descrintro/ without
javascript:

  - at the top right the "AA", "Socialize" and "Sign In" labels have menu dropdowns exposed below them, downless covering... something.

  - the AA menu buttons are all dysfunctional, being purely javascript; it would be better if the menu was styled "display=none" by default, and made visible by javascript

There are also the disappointingly common placeholder characters in various
place, for example to the left of each item in the "Socialize" menu. These look
like this:

  <li class="tier-2 element-1" role="treeitem"><a
  href="http://plus.google.com/+Python"><span aria-hidden="true"

so I'm suppose this is some failed style sheet. [...] It looks like this may
NoScript blocking a font load directive. [...] Yup.

Cheers,
Cameron Simpson <cs at zip.com.au>

The batsmen out there should know something about the game.
- Michael Holding, Aus vs West Indies commentator