Is Python installer/un-installer buggy on Windows?

Terry Reedy tjreedy at udel.edu
Thu Dec 4 01:40:01 EST 2014

On 12/3/2014 10:16 PM, Aseem Bansal wrote:
> I am using 32-bit Python on a 64-bit Windows.
>
> Edit with IDLE is missing from the context menu. I am working on
> Windows 7. I have searched on google a lot and have tried everything
> said in superuser, stackoverflow etc. I have even tried re-installing
> Python.

I suspect the problem is with the registry.  Only one version of
Python/Idle can be connected to that entry.

 > I am now only left with re-installing Windows itself which I
> don't think is a good idea.

Definitely not.

> Shouldn't the Python installer be able to fix this thing?
>

> I have both Python 2.7 and 3.4 installed but I uninstalled both and
> tried installing one. No use.

Did you check "[x] make default version", whatever the exact wording is?
How did you uninstall, and reinstall?

> Is there some problem with Python (un-)installer on Windows?

Occasionally.

> asking because I have multiple IDLE in my Start menu one of which
> starts to install Python 3.3 in the default location (which I had
> earlier).

I do not understand how a Start menu entry can begin an installation.
It is the result of installation.

--
Terry Jan Reedy