Python vs C++

David Palao dpalao.python at gmail.com
Thu Aug 21 08:54:18 EDT 2014

Hello,
I consider myself a python programmer, although C++ was one of the
first languages I learned (not really deeply and long time ago).

Now I decided to retake C++, to broaden my view of the business.
However, as I progress in learning C++, I cannot take out of my head
one question

 Why to use C++ instead of python?

It is not ranting against C++. I was/am looking for small-medium
projects to exercise my C++ skills. But I'm interested in a "genuine"
C++ project: some task where C++ is really THE language (and where
python is actually a bad ab initio choice).
The usual argument in favour of C++ (when comparing to python) is
performance. But I'm convinced that, in general, the right approach is
"python-profiling-(extension/numpy/Cython/...)". At least for a python
programmer. I might be wrong, though.

This is, perhaps, a bit off-topic, but I really want to know the
thoughts of experienced python programmers on it.

Thanks in advance,

David