'is not' or '!='

Rustom Mody rustompmody at gmail.com
Wed Aug 20 08:01:12 EDT 2014

On Wednesday, August 20, 2014 4:35:42 PM UTC+5:30, Steven D'Aprano wrote:
> Rustom Mody wrote:

> > It is interesting (and insidious) how technology shapes our thinking
> > patterns.  Before git,

> Pardon me, but git did not invent revision control. There are dozens of
> revision control software applications, including:

> Mercurial: released April 2005
> Git: released April 2005
> GNU Bazaar: released March 2005
> Subversion: 2000
> Clearcase: 1992
> CVS: 1990

> Even venerable old cvs tracked authors.

Ok I was mistaken -- only remembering from rcs where one had to put
a 'cookie' containing rcs-variables that would be substituted.

Which variables you put would decide which pieces of info were
available; the info was in-band, if at all.  Nowadays its all there, its
out-of-band and the natural usage therefore is different.