'is not' or '!='

Rustom Mody rustompmody at gmail.com
Wed Aug 20 00:01:49 EDT 2014

On Wednesday, August 20, 2014 4:54:00 AM UTC+5:30, Ben Finney wrote:
> Tim Chase writes:

> > Am I the only one who feels the urge to write
> >   if i am some_other_object: ...
> >   if we are some_other_object: ...
> >   if u are some_other_object: ... # though txtspk bothers me

> How often do you need to refer to an object with personal pronouns? I
> think for me the answer is "never". Why not name the specific role the
> object is playing, rather than the indirectness of personal pronouns?

> So, in short: you may not be the only one, but I find it difficult to
> imagine why anyone would be motivated to do that.

If you've taught beginners its not so surprising --
Ive heard all kinds of
- I go here
- I try this again
- I come back

where that 'I' is some procedure/program-counter-ish notion
and the listener is supposed to figure out what exactly the speaker is
(currently) identifying with :-)

Ive never heard 'we-s' and 'u-s' though

I also (once!) had a student who started every single variable/function/filename
with his name!!