Why Python 4.0 won't be like Python 3.0

Johann Hibschman jhibschman at gmail.com
Tue Aug 19 10:56:25 EDT 2014

Skip Montanaro <skip at pobox.com> writes:

> On Tue, Aug 19, 2014 at 9:27 AM, Grant Edwards <invalid at invalid.invalid> wrote:
>> I'm probably conflating the 1.5.2/2.0 and the 2.6 stuff.  I do
>> remember delaying moving from 1.5.2 -> 2.0 until I really had to, but
>> I don't remember why.
>
> If you were a RedHat user during that timeframe, that might have
> contributed to your decision to delay. I no longer remember the
> details, but it was rather painful.

I vaguely remember holding off for a while until SWIG had 2.0 support,
or maybe Numeric lagged, or something, but that's getting pretty fuzzy.
There was definitely more there than, say, for 1.4 to 1.5.  It's hard to
believe that the Dubois/Hinsen/Hugunin article in Computers in Physics
(which was where I got my start with python) was a full 18 years ago.

Cheers,
Johann