Free Video Course + cool exercises

Chris Angelico rosuav at gmail.com
Mon Aug 18 08:53:43 EDT 2014

On Mon, Aug 18, 2014 at 10:44 PM, Everything You Need To Know
<eyn2k at outlook.com> wrote:
>> [
>> I sincerely hope you're not teaching people to install Python 3.0! But
>>
>> what _is_ the minimum expected version for this course? And what
>>
>> platforms do you support?
>
> Sorry, I have tried to refer to version of #3.0+ meaning most current version, though I wanted to make it clear we are not using versions of #2 because there is such a big difference between the two.

I figured you'd be getting the latest 3.x, but your course may well
depend on some specific minimum version, in which case you can say
something like "3.3+". But, that plus this comment...

> As for Platforms, we work off the 'IDLE' text editor from https://www.python.org/ for windows, though which text editor you choose really should not matter in this course, except for the text editor.

... makes me think you're very much Windows specific here. Is that the
case? Normally, "platform" means Windows/Linux/Mac OS/etc/etc.

>> The use of "Python 0.0" for the videos seems likely to be confusing.
>>
>> It may be clearer if you put some other words with it, so it doesn't
>>
>> look like an actual Python version number.
>> ]
>
> Yeah! I do agree with 0.0 being confusing, though this is just a result of the structure of the courses, because there is a 'tutorial' playlist for review and a course for beginners. Python 1.0 basically means you have started learning python, anything before that is extra information (Though also necessary). I will see what I come up with for Downloading other than 0.0

0.0 isn't the confusing bit; it's attaching that immediately after the
word "Python". If you called it "Python lesson 0.0" or something then
it'd be clearer.

> Thank you for your time

Thank you for yours! You've made all those videos... I'm just sitting
here being an arm-chair critic and hoping that it's helpful rather
than offensive :)

ChrisA