Python in financial services

Rustom Mody rustompmody at gmail.com
Tue Aug 12 03:33:11 EDT 2014

Ive been asked to formulate a python course for financial services folk.

If I actually knew about the subject, I'd have fatter pockets!
Anyway heres some thoughts. What I am missing out?

[Apart from basic python -- contents typically needs tailoring to the audience] the following:

- Libraries -- Decimal?
- scripts -- philosophy and infrastructure eg argparse, os.path
- Pandas
- Numpy Scipy (which? how much?)
- ipython + matplotlib + ??
- Database interfacing
- Excel interfacing (couple of libraries.. which?)
- C(C++?) interfacing paradigms -- ranging from ctypes, cython to classic lo-level