Python and IDEs [was Re: Python 3 is killing Python]

Chris Angelico rosuav at gmail.com
Mon Aug 11 06:20:13 EDT 2014

On Mon, Aug 11, 2014 at 7:37 PM, alister
<alister.nospam.ware at ntlworld.com> wrote:
> On Mon, 11 Aug 2014 11:08:43 +0200, Wolfgang Keller wrote:
>
>>> By the way, you keep replying to people, and quoting them, but deleting
>>> their name. Please leave the attribution in place, so we know who you
>>> are replying to.
>>
>> That's what the "References:"-Header is there for.
>
> Which is not normally visible unless you go looking for it
> Also despite the problems it causes there are still an large number of
> posters that use Google groups & probably cant see those headers even if
> they wished. Common courtesy (or netiquet if you prefer) would be to
> follow the conventions of the group you are posting to.

Additionally, the References header is good for at most one level in.
Can you see, by looking at my post here, who Alister is quoting? Yes,
easily, because his attribution line is part of the text that I've
quoted. Can you see who Wolfgang is quoting? No, because there's no
attribution line. It's completely impractical to dig through the
References header (Alister's post has nineteen message IDs in
References, and presumably mine will add a twentieth) to find out who
quoted whom three levels ago.

ChrisA