Template language for random string generation

Chris Angelico rosuav at gmail.com
Fri Aug 8 07:29:09 EDT 2014

On Fri, Aug 8, 2014 at 9:20 PM, Ned Batchelder <ned at nedbatchelder.com> wrote:
> On 8/8/14 5:42 AM, Paul Wolf wrote:
>>
>> On Friday, 8 August 2014 10:22:33 UTC+1, Chris Angelico  wrote:
>>>
>>> But I eyeballed your code, and I'm seeing a lot of
>>> u'string' prefixes, which aren't supported on 3.0-3.2 (they were
>>> reinstated in 3.3 as per PEP 414), so a more likely version set would
>>>
>>> be 2.6+, 3.3+. What's the actual version support?
>>> ChrisA
>>

>> I'm going to have to assume you are right that I only tested on 3.3,
>> skipping > 2.7 and < 3.3. I'll create an issue for that.
>>

> Don't bother trying to support <=3.2.  It will be far more difficult than it
> is worth in terms of adoption of the library.

Agreed. I would be looking at the solution here being "test on 3.4,
then (assuming no problems) declare that it works on 3.3+". Anyone on
Debian Wheezy can spin up a Python 3 from source anyway, and
presumably ditto for any other Linux distro that's distributing 3.1 or
3.2; most other platforms should have a more modern Python available
one way or another.

ChrisA