Python 3 is killing Python

beliavsky at aol.com beliavsky at aol.com
Wed Aug 6 09:47:24 EDT 2014

On Wednesday, May 28, 2014 6:38:22 PM UTC-4, Ben Finney wrote:
> Larry Martell <larry.martell at gmail.com> writes:
>

> > No company that I work for is using python 3 - they just have too much
>
> > of an investment in a python 2 code base to switch.
>

> There are many large companies still using FORTRAN and COBOL because of
>
> a large investment in those languages, which are far more outdated than
>
> Python 2. What's your point?

Fortran compiler vendors such as Intel, IBM, Oracle/SUN and open source projects such as gfortran are updating their compilers to the Fortran 2003 and 2008 standards while also keeping the ability to compile all the old Fortran code. FORTRAN 77 programmers and programs will not be forced to move to modern Fortran, but I'm not sure that Python 2.x users can be as confident that Python 2.x will be supported on future operating systems.