Python 3 is killing Python

Kevin Walzer kw at codebykevin.com
Sun Aug 3 21:21:26 EDT 2014

RIck,

On 7/17/14, 2:15 PM, Rick Johnson wrote:
> Sadly, all of my calls to improve IDLE have been meet with
> rebukes about me "whining". The "powers that be" would wise
> to*UTILIZE*  and*ENCOURAGE*  my participation instead of
> *IGNORING*  valuable talent and*IMPEDING*  the expansion of
> this "private boys club".

A bit late to this, I suppose...

Where are your patches? Can you point me to anywhere at the Python bug
tracker where they can be found?

I'll highlight the two major patches I've submitted over the past few
years:

http://bugs.python.org/issue15853
http://bugs.python.org/issue6075

One fixed a pretty bad crash on the Mac, and the other optimized IDLE's
Mac port to adjust to some API changes in Tk because of a switch in the
native back end (Carbon to Cocoa).

In both cases I posted an e-mail or two to the relevant mailing list
(IDLE-dev and MacPython) to provide a head-up about the patch, answer
questions, and so on--but that was it. No major "calls to improve IDLE,"
just some code that DID improve IDLE. The "powers that be" didn't commit
the patches right away, and not without some modification and testing,
but they eventually did commit them, and the outcome satisfied my
intention in submitting the patches in the first place.

Both of these patches addressed issues that made IDLE pretty much
un-usable for me. Obviously a crash will do this, but also, when I
switched my installation of Tk from the Carbon-backed one to the
Cocoa-backed one, there were lots of little glitches because of subtle
differences in how Cocoa did things.

I suppose I simply could have filled the mailing lists with complaints
that these things were Big Problems for me and Someone Should Do
Something About Them, but there was no guarantee that someone would pick
up the challenge. Fortunately, I had the knowledge, skills and time to
submit patches that were sufficiently developed that the relevant Python
maintainers could take them, apply them, modify slightly as required,
test them, and then commit them. This did ensure that Something Would Be
Done about my issue, because the Person Who Did Something About It was me.

I know you are proficient in both Python and Tkinter, as I've noted from
the helpful advice you give Tkinter newbies on the list from time to
time, and so I'm sure you have the skill set to put together some
patches that address specific points of pain for you. And despite the
disagreement that others may register with you in these threads from
time to time, I'm quite confident that useful patches will be gratefully
accepted, even if not immediately.

--Kevin

--
Kevin Walzer