cmd.exe on WIndows - problem with displaying some Unicode characters

Akira Li 4kir4.1i at gmail.com
Mon Aug 4 20:51:15 EDT 2014

Wiktor <look at signature.invalid> writes:

> On Mon, 04 Aug 2014 15:17:04 -0400, Terry Reedy wrote:
>
>>>    I'm taking next step, so I tried to draw nice frame around menu (that's
>>> why I posted yesterday).
>>
>> Is there no working codepage with ascii text and the line chars? I
>> suppose I am not surprised if not.
>
>   With single line (└┘┌┐─│├┤┬┴┼) and double line (╣║╗╝╚╔╩╦╠═╬) - many
> codepages, CP852 for sure.
>
>   With corners/crosses where single and double lines meet (╖╘╡╢╕╜╛╞╟
> ╧╨╤╥╙╘╒╓╫╪) - I know only one: CP437.
>
>   But I can't have both - Polish letters and all those line chars, so I
> can't do this fancy frame from first post with Polish strings inside. There
> will be simpler version instead.

Unicode has line drawing characters [1]. win_unicode_console [2] allows
to print Unicode in cmd.exe. win_unicode_console and colorama will
probably conflict. You could look at the source to see how hard to
combine both functionalities.

[1] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Box-drawing_character
[2] https://pypi.python.org/pypi/win_unicode_console

btw, blessings [3] provides an easy-to-use interface if you need to add
colors and move text in a terminal. It claims that it also supports
colors on Windows if used with colorama.

[3] https://pypi.python.org/pypi/blessings/

--
Akira