cmd.exe on WIndows - problem with displaying some Unicode characters

Wiktor look at signature.invalid
Mon Aug 4 12:48:32 EDT 2014

On Mon, 04 Aug 2014 17:43:41 +0200, Wolfgang Maier wrote:

>>    I'm not starting from scratch. I'm using packages 'termcolor', 'colorama'
>> and 'colorconsole' - they provide functions to print text at desired
>> position on screen, and change color of foreground/background of this text.
>
> Thanks for pointing out these packages! Since you say you're using all
> three of them: where do colorama and colorconsole differ. From a quick
> look, I can see that termcolor is a bit different, but colorama and
> colorconsole seem pretty similar in scope.

  From colorama I just use one function - init(). Without this
initialization all those ansii escape characters (used by colorama itself,
but also by termcolor.colored()) don't work in cmd.exe. At least I couldn't
make it work.
  All coloring work I make in termcolor.colored() function, because it
returns string, which I can work on (store and/or send it to print_at()
function later).
  And colorconsole is helpful with its screen.print_at() function [where
screen = colorconsole.terminal.get_terminal()].

  So, yes, it's matter of (probably bad) design, but now I need all three
packages. Maybe if I resign from storing my colored strings, and color them
just while sending them to printing function, I could get rid of colorama
and termcolor...
  Well, thanks for asking, because now, during writing this response, I see
that maybe redesign is worth of trying...

Wiktor

--
Best regards,     Wiktor Matuszewski
'py{}@wu{}em.pl'.format('wkm', 'ka')