cmd.exe on WIndows - problem with displaying some Unicode characters

Chris “Kwpolska” Warrick kwpolska at gmail.com
Mon Aug 4 04:46:55 EDT 2014

On Mon, Aug 4, 2014 at 2:17 AM, Glenn Linderman <v+python at g.nevcal.com> wrote:
> For this OP problem, it is mostly a matter of finding a fixed-width font
> that supports the box drawing characters and the Polish characters that are
> desired.  Lucida Console has a fair repertoire, and Consolas has a fair
> repertoire, in the fixed-width font arena. There may be others, documented
> on Polish language web sites that I wouldn't know about, and I don't know
> enough Polish to be sure those I mentioned suffice.

Not really.  We haven’t had to play the “custom fonts for our
language” game for quite some time.  Consolas and Lucida Console work
just fine for Polish (though Consolas sometimes hiccups on capital
characters in some environments).  The characters are:

ĄĆĘŁÓŃŚŹŻ
ąćęłóńśźż

Most fonts — especially the ones included with modern OSes — support
all 18 of them.

So, this is a non-issue.  The real issue is Windows being an idiot
when it comes to CLI, which is oh so surprising to everyone who had to
work with it — considering the choice of the outdated and quirky
cmd.exe interpreter, or PowerShell, which has ultra-verbose
human-unfriendly commands and works in the same cmd.exe window (there
is a thing named PowerShell ISE, which circumvents cmd.exe; I have no
idea whether all the Unicode issues apply to that, too)

--
Chris “Kwpolska” Warrick <http://chriswarrick.com/>
PGP: 5EAAEA16