Python and IDEs [was Re: Python 3 is killing Python]

Roy Smith roy at panix.com
Sat Aug 2 10:27:03 EDT 2014

In article <c42o1nFbrqdU1 at mid.individual.net>,
 Gregory Ewing <greg.ewing at canterbury.ac.nz> wrote:

> > And don't mention the menu bar across the top, separated from the
> > window to which it belonged.
>
> That seems to be a matter of taste. There are some
> advantages to the menu-bar-at-top model. It's an easier
> target to hit, because you can just flick the mouse up
> to the top. It only takes up space once, instead of
> once per window. It makes it possible for an app to
> be running without having any windows, and still be
> able to interact with it.

In the old days, we had really small screens (the original Mac had a 9
inch screen with 512 x 342 resolution).  Most application windows filled
most of the screen, so there really wasn't much difference between
per-desktop and per-window menu bars.

These days, I'm running multiple 24 inch monitors.  The single menu bar
paradigm starts to break down in an environment like that.  I find I
tend to put the few windows I'm actively using near the top of my
primary screen (the one with the menu bar), and use the second screen to
hold windows I'm not interacting with much.