Unicode in Python

wxjmfauth at gmail.com wxjmfauth at gmail.com
Tue Apr 22 05:07:58 EDT 2014

Le mardi 22 avril 2014 08:30:45 UTC+2, Rustom Mody a écrit :

@ rusy

> "Ive reworded it to make it clear that I am referring to the
character-sets and not encodings."

Very good, excellent, comment. An healthy coding scheme can only
work properly with a unique characters set and the coding is achieved
with the help of a unique operator. There is no other way to do it
and that's the reason why we have to live today with all these
coding schemes (unicode or not). Note: A coding scheme can be
much more complex than the coding of "raw" characters (eg. CID
fonts).
> "So instead of using λ (0x3bb) we should use  𝝀 (0x1d740)  or something thereabouts like 𝜆"

This is a very good understanding of unicode. The letter lambda
is not the mathematical symbole lambda. Another example,
the micro sign is not the greek letter mu which is not the mathematical
mu. Shorly, it's maybe not a bad idea to use a plain ascii "lambda"
instead of a wrong unicode point.

jmf