networking question: 2-way messaging w/o wireless modem config?

haiticare2011 at gmail.com haiticare2011 at gmail.com
Thu Apr 17 22:56:35 EDT 2014

On Thursday, April 17, 2014 12:38:46 PM UTC-4, Mark H. Harris wrote:
> On 4/17/14 11:20 AM, hxaiticzzare2011 at gmail.com wrote:
>
> > I have a Raspberry Pi board with a wireless usb modem on it.
>
> > I wish to be able to message 2-way with the board from
>
> > across the internet, without having to open ports on the wireless modem. Is there
>
> >   a way to do this? I have been looking at udp, but imagine that a udp packet is
>
> > allowed in, but not out?
>
> > The amount of data transmission I want is very small, maybe lt 30 bytes.
>

> The answer depends on how you setup your wireless modem | router. There
>
> are many ways to set this up depending on your project goals. If you're
>
> trying to setup a sniffer (well, just don't do that, its not nice).
>

> If you were trying to setup a micro server on my network (for instance),
>
> well, you couln't, because I don't permit the outgoing connection
>
> without authorization and port (actually, same is true for incoming
>
> connections. I would have to setup auth and port for you to connect your
>
> Pi as a micro server on my wireless network. Most public access points
>
> are blocked (peer to peer) too (if they're smart).
>

> For legitimate non trivial setups (not experiments) you want to control
>
> the connection with auth and ports.
>

> A word of caution about udp. If the data you are sending is contained in
>
> one datagram (one packet), then no problem; however, if you are sending
>
> multiple packets over the WAN it can be a big problem because the upd
>
> in|out does not guarantee correct packet ordering.
>

> Is there a python question in here somewhere?
>

> marcus

Thanks - I am just trying to design a consumer product where the consumer
does not have to fiddle with their modem, ie, plug'n'play. Usually, with
consumer modems, you can do http client activity. (just connect another PC to
the local network.) So I guess I could iniate a http request from the Pi. I
 just wondered if there were other protocols that would allow me to just
 communicate with the Pi.

As far as sniffers etc., I adhere to a complete personal honesty - that's my
 policy, as anything else just won't do. I hope to program the item in Python,
though I'm wondering if C is better for network programming.

Thanks for help.
jb