Martijn Faassen: The Call of Python 2.8

Terry Reedy tjreedy at udel.edu
Tue Apr 15 15:29:41 EDT 2014

On 4/15/2014 7:33 AM, Ben Finney wrote:
> Terry Reedy <tjreedy at udel.edu> writes:
>
>> 3.4.0 was released a month ago with Windows and Mac installers and
>> source for everything else. I know Ubuntu was testing the release
>> candidate so I presume it is or will very soon have 3.4 officially
>> available. Since there was a six month series of alpha, beta, and
>> candidate releases, with an approximate final release data, any
>> distribution that wanted to be up to date also could be.
>
> Those assertions assume that:
>
> * operating systems have stable releases every few months; and
>
> * they have a zero-length process to get a stable release of Python into
>    the stable OS release; and
>
> * the user is always running the latest stable OS version immediately
>    after its release.

No, I was not talking about replacing the system python. Only about
having a .rpm or .deb or whatever available to make an alternate
install. My comments are a response to someone saying he could not use
Python3 because his system only had ancient 3.2 available and he needed
to use a module that requires 3.3. If he was telling the truth, this
strikes me as ridiculous.

> When, in reality, the OS team will need quite a long time to ensure the
> stable Python release works smoothly with all of the rest of the OS;

For a standalone non-system install, I cannot imagine what you are
talking about. CPython is primarily developed on Linux. It is continuous
tested on multiple buildbots that include several *nix and in particular
linux distributions (https://www.python.org/dev/buildbot/). I believe it
more stable on linux than anything else, certainly more than on Windows.
CPython x.y.0 is released after a month of candidate testing. When it is
released, it definitely works on multiple linux distributions, or it
would not be released.

I believe distutils has options to create some package manager bundles
(.rpm, .deb?, ???) and that we once hosted such on the site on day 1,
along with a windows binary. I believe we no longer do because linux
distributions proliferated and said that they would rather host python
bundles in their own package manager systems.

--
Terry Jan Reedy