Martijn Faassen: The Call of Python 2.8

Terry Reedy tjreedy at udel.edu
Tue Apr 15 15:01:55 EDT 2014

On 4/15/2014 1:21 PM, Albert-Jan Roskam wrote:

>> This is all quite aside from the fact that one should be able to
>> unpack a tarball and 'make xxx'.
>
> True, but in Debian Linux (so probably also Linux) one needs to
> install some zlib packages and some other stuff (https related IIRC)
> before compiling Python (at least with 3.3).

On windows, I can compile Python without the 3rd party dependencies
installed. (They are also mostly installed by one .bat file.) The
compiler will report errors for what is missing, and the corresponding
imports (like 'import zlib') from the missing dlls will fail, but
python.exe is built and otherwise runs fine. Are things different on
*nix -- all or nothing?

In any case, once the dependencies are installed, they should still be
there if one upgrades with patch release.

--
Terry Jan Reedy