Teaching python to non-programmers

Mark H Harris harrismh777 at gmail.com
Fri Apr 11 10:35:08 EDT 2014

On 4/10/14 10:54 AM, Lalitha Prasad K wrote:
> Dear List
>
> Recently I was requested to teach python to a group of students of GIS
> (Geographic Information Systems).

    Adults?  ... what age ranges?

> Their knowledge of programming is
> zero. The objective is to enable them to write plug-ins for GIS software
> like QGIS and ArcGIS.

    Its a fabulous idea. Integrating disciplines is the correct approach
to computer science education in my opinion.
    From day one (and yes I was there on day one) computer science knows
nothing about the insurance industry, and underwriters know nothing
about programming. The way to get these two groups together is to
integrate comp sci education with underwriting.

> It would require them to learn, besides core
> python, PyQt, QtDesigner. So my plan is to teach them core python, PyQt,
> Qt Designer, in that order. A kind of "bottom up approach".

    Beautiful.

> But the
> students seem to feel that I should use "top down approach". That is,
> show them how to write a plug-in, then PyQt and Qt Designer and then
> enough of python so they can handle the above.

    The phrase "just enough python" is almost possible. I am working on
a project I call SimplyPy that has this same goal in mind; but I'm not
finished yet. But the idea is to boil the galaxy of python down to a
small solar system with a couple of planets. If these cats are in their
early twenties, no problem. If they really are "non programmers" it will
be easier because they come to the table teachable. I would rather have
twenty students "tabula rosa" than having one student who thinks they
already know everything.

marcus