Teaching python to non-programmers

Rustom Mody rustompmody at gmail.com
Thu Apr 10 14:24:59 EDT 2014

On Thursday, April 10, 2014 9:24:48 PM UTC+5:30, Lalitha Prasad K wrote:
> Dear List
>
> Recently I was requested to teach python to a group of students of GIS (Geographic Information Systems). Their knowledge of programming is zero. The objective is to enable them to write plug-ins for GIS software like QGIS and ArcGIS. It would require them to learn, besides core python, PyQt, QtDesigner. So my plan is to teach them core python, PyQt, Qt Designer, in that order. A kind of "bottom up approach". But the students seem to feel that I should use "top down approach". That is, show them how to write a plug-in, then PyQt and Qt Designer and then enough of python so they can handle the above. I don't think, that is possible or a good idea. But I would like to know, if there are any other approaches.
>

> Thanks and Regards

Theres a Mulla Nassr Eddin story:
Villagers A and B had a dispute. They went to Mulla.
A gave his harangue for a while...
Mulla: You are right!
The B came and gave his story
Mulla (to B) You are right
Mulla's wife (scratching her head): But Mulla?! Both cant be right?!?!
Mulla: You are right.

When you are a teacher you have to learn to say "Yes Yes!" to all sorts of
demands -- from curriculum, boards, colleagues, and of course students

And then keep on doing what you know is right!

I have some writings on the stupidities of CS edu establishment
http://blog.languager.org/2011/02/cs-education-is-fat-and-weak-1.html
and following