Teaching python to non-programmers

Chris Angelico rosuav at gmail.com
Fri Apr 11 01:42:46 EDT 2014

On Fri, Apr 11, 2014 at 3:34 PM, Paul Rudin <paul.nospam at rudin.co.uk> wrote:
> Chris Angelico <rosuav at gmail.com> writes:
>
>> On Fri, Apr 11, 2014 at 2:37 PM, Rustom Mody <rustompmody at gmail.com> wrote:
>>> What I was very gently and super politely told was:
>>> "Please dont delete mail context"
>>
>> Then you were told that by someone who does not understand email.
>
> It's not necessarily a bad idea to retain context in corporate
> emails. Messages tend to get forwarded to people other than the original
> recipient(s), and the context can be very helpful.

A good mail client will let you forward an entire thread all at once.
That covers the use-case without polluting *every single email ever
sent* with the entire history. Plus, a decent client should let you
forward some without others, which would mean you don't have the
awkward situation of sending someone all the internal discussion
("just send this guy the standard cockroach letter") that led to the
final decision.

Retaining context should either be done with an internal wiki or
forum, or by reading up in the retained emails. You don't need to
duplicate all context every post in any medium.

ChrisA