Teaching python to non-programmers

Paul Rudin paul.nospam at rudin.co.uk
Fri Apr 11 01:34:46 EDT 2014

> On Fri, Apr 11, 2014 at 2:37 PM, Rustom Mody <rustompmody at gmail.com> wrote:
>> Right. Its true that when I was at a fairly large corporate, I was not told:
>> "Please always top post!"
>>
>> What I was very gently and super politely told was:
>> "Please dont delete mail context"
>
> Then you were told that by someone who does not understand email.

It's not necessarily a bad idea to retain context in corporate
emails. Messages tend to get forwarded to people other than the original
recipient(s), and the context can be very helpful.

But when you're posting to a mailing list or to a usenet group different
considerations apply as there's usually a way of seeing the whole
thread.

Email is often a poor relatively poor medium for internal communication,
because of this problem. Also people who might properly have a something
useful to say on the subject matter may never get to see the email.

A private news server or web forum is often better.

That's not to say that there's no place for email in internal
communication, but it's best reserved for occasions where
confidentiality is required, or at least politic.