[OFF-TOPIC] How do I find a mentor when no one I work with knows what they are doing?

Jason Swails jason.swails at gmail.com
Tue Apr 8 10:00:45 EDT 2014

On Tue, Apr 8, 2014 at 3:07 AM, James Brewer <james at brwr.org> wrote:

> I'm sure there will be a substantial amount of arrogance perceived from
> this question, but frankly I don't think that I have anything to learn from
> my co-workers, which saddens me because I really like to learn and I know
> that I have a lot of learning to do.
>
> I've been employed as a software engineer for about eight months now and I
> feel like I haven't learned nearly as much as I should. Sure, I've picked
> up little tidbits of information here and there, but I'm no more confident
> in my ability to build anything more complex than a basic crud app than I
> was the day I started.
>
> Things I'm interested include contributing to both Python and Django,
> database design and data modeling, API design, code quality, algorithms and
> data structures, and software architecture, among other things.
>
> Basically, I want to be a better engineer. Where can I find someone
> willing to point me in the right direction and what can I offer in return?

Find something that interests you (you've done that already).  Clone the
repository of whatever interests you (Django, Python, etc.).  Then start
reading their source code.  Maybe pick up a bug report that you think you
can understand and work on coming up with a solution -- that will lead to
more targeted reading than simply perusing it at random.  Chances are
someone will fix it before you get a chance, but just seeing how _others_
have designed their software and implemented it will help you learn a lot.
 The more you do that, the more you will understand the overall framework
of the project.

Best of all would be to choose a project that you use regularly.  Once you
become more experienced and knowledgeable about the project you've chosen,
you can start contributing back to it.  Everybody wins.

At least I've learned a lot doing that.

Good luck,
Jason