[OFF-TOPIC] How do I find a mentor when no one I work with knows what they are doing?

Mark H Harris harrismh777 at gmail.com
Tue Apr 8 09:59:52 EDT 2014

On 4/8/14 2:07 AM, James Brewer wrote:
> I don't think that I have anything to learn
> from my co-workers, which saddens me because I really like to learn and
> I know that I have a lot of learning to do.

    Give it time. The first thing that must happen is relationship
building. Initially its about being:
    faithful
    available
    interested
    teachable

> I've been employed as a software engineer for about eight months now and
> I feel like I haven't learned nearly as much as I should.

    compared to what

> Things I'm interested include contributing to both Python and Django,
> database design and data modeling, API design, code quality, algorithms
> and data structures, and software architecture, among other things.

    Find a project. Find something you are interested in, download the
source, and study. Volunteer, and do a lot of observing.

> Basically, I want to be a better engineer. Where can I find someone
> willing to point me in the right direction and what can I offer in return?

    This list is a great resource.  The folks here are tough, but
friendly;  the list is active, and those participating will teach you
plenty.

marcus