Python streaming media server

Sturla Molden sturla.molden at gmail.com
Sun Apr 6 08:52:37 EDT 2014

Wesley <nispray at gmail.com> wrote:

>> Not open source, but there is a famous closed-source one called YouTube.
>
> Are you kidding?
> I know youtube, but do you think we can use it setup our own streaming media server?

Obviously not.

Before YouTube was bought by Google, it was common knowledge that it ran on
Stackless Python. So a streaming media server on Python is absolutely
possible. But no, I don't know of one you can set up and use on your own.

You can make a highly scalable server with PyZMQ and Tornado or Twisted.
NumPy is great for storing binary data like media streams. HDF5 (PyTables
or h5py) might be a better database than some SQL server, as it is capable
of highly scalable parallel binary i/o.

Sturla