UnicodeDecodeError: 'utf-8' codec can't decode byte 0xb6 in position 0: invalid start byte

Chris Angelico rosuav at gmail.com
Mon Sep 30 18:29:31 EDT 2013

On Tue, Oct 1, 2013 at 4:03 AM, Νίκος <nikos.gr33k at gmail.com> wrote:
> Στις 30/9/2013 5:45 μμ, ο/η Mark Lawrence έγραψε:
>> Absolutely hilarious.  Please give up your web work and Python and get a
>> job writing scripts for comedians, you'd make a large fortune.
>

> I learn Python for personal pleasure because i like programming.
> Perhaps it would be even better if you quit spamming my thread with your
> "funny" quotes.

Then maybe you should keep to programming for personal pleasure and
stop trying to make it part of your business. Most of your problems
stem from a perceived urgency - you panic, because you have stupidly
edited your live code again, and come to this list begging for help.
If you were coding purely for pleasure, your problems would not lose
you customers, and you could deal with issues calmly.

To be quite frank, I think you SHOULD lose customers. Suppose you buy
a piece of furniture from some small-time carpenter, and the moving
parts are stuck, it wobbles on its legs, and if anyone uses it who
isn't American, it crashes to the floor (which is how your Unicode
issues make you look). You go and complain, loudly, in front of people
who were looking at his wares and considering buying. He might lose
customers because of your complaint - but if he's selling a dodgy
product, he *should* lose customers. Carpentry for pleasure, or
programming for pleasure, is a fine thing to do, but it should not be
considered business.

Nikos, I sincerely hope that all these problems cause you to go out of
business. Preferably right now, with just enough maintenance to last
till the end of your contracts with people. Then start programming
purely as a hobby, until you actually master the craft.

ChrisA