What minimum should a person know before saying "I know Python"

Aseem Bansal asmbansal2 at gmail.com
Fri Sep 20 13:40:54 EDT 2013

On Friday, September 20, 2013 10:04:32 PM UTC+5:30, Chris Angelico wrote:
> On Sat, Sep 21, 2013 at 2:28 AM, Aseem Bansal <asmbansal2 at gmail.com> wrote:
> > I hope that cleared some confusion about what I wanted to ask. I wanted to gauge myself to find if I am progressing or not.
>
> Well, based on my definition, that's easy to answer. Have you solved
> problems using Python? If you have a bunch of HTML pages and you need
> to get some info out of all of them by COB today, do you think "I can
> do that with Python", or do you think "I can do that with sed, awk,
> grep, and five levels of pipe"? The tools you use for an urgent job
> will be the ones you know.
>
> ChrisA

Yeah I have. I needed to get stats from the front page of a website. I wrote a script for that. I plotted the stats using matplotlib. I collected data manually and missed running the script one day so I took care of that problem using Python. Wrote a script that checked for internet connectivity and then ran the scripts that downloaded the stuff I needed and then placed this script in the Windows startup folder.

That was a nice feeling. Because I can just customize that startup script if I ever wanted to change my computer's startup behaviour.

But that was pure luck that I had done the random example that you had chosen. It would be difficult to find my overall progress by the one thing.

I am currently unemployed so the sense of urgency isn't there normally. That's why I asked this question. But I got your point.