statsmodels.api

Josef Perktold josef.pktd at gmail.com
Tue Sep 17 12:15:05 EDT 2013

Oscar Benjamin <oscar.j.benjamin <at> gmail.com> writes:

> On 17 September 2013 15:52, Josef Perktold <josef.pktd <at> gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > On the other hand, python-xy comes with MingW, and I never had any problems
> > compiling pandas and statsmodels for any version combination of python and
> > numpy that I tested (although 32 bit only so far, I never set up the
> > Microsoft sdk).
>
> Just out of interest: out of the box Python.org distutils is
> incompatible with recent versions of MinGW. If Python-xy distributes
> MinGW (and it works) then they're either creating a special patched
> MinGW set up or patching distutils. I don't want to install Python-xy
> myself since it'll clobber my existing Python installation but could
> you answer the following for me:
>
> 1) What gcc version did Python-xy install for you?
>
> 2) Does the distutils.cygwincompiler module it installs contain the
> following lines (around about line 300) specifically with the
> '-mno-cygwin' option?
>
>          self.set_executables(compiler='gcc -mno-cygwin -O -Wall',
>                               compiler_so='gcc -mno-cygwin -mdll -O -Wall',
>                               compiler_cxx='g++ -mno-cygwin -O -Wall',
>                               linker_exe='gcc -mno-cygwin',
>                               linker_so='%s -mno-cygwin %s %s'

I installed python-xy 2 years ago with python 2.6 and didn't update, so my
information is not up-to-date

It looks like my MingW version uses mingw32-gcc-4.4.0.exe

for python 2.6 which came with python-xy:
        self.set_executables(compiler='gcc -mno-cygwin -O -Wall',
                             compiler_so='gcc -mno-cygwin -mdll -O -Wall',
                             compiler_cxx='g++ -mno-cygwin -O -Wall',
                             linker_exe='gcc -mno-cygwin',
                             linker_so='%s -mno-cygwin %s %s'
                                        % (self.linker_dll, shared_option,
                                           entry_point))

However, I'm running python 2.5, 2.7, 3.2 and 3.3 additionally. And they are
all python.org versions without any changes (except IDLE bugs :).
I don't have any compilation problems with any of them.

Until recently statsmodels used distutils from numpy which adds some patches
AFAIK. The current statsmodels setup.py just uses plain distutils and
setuptools. (The setup.py is largely copied from pandas which has a lot more
C extensions than statsmodels.)

numpy scipy binaries for Windows are still compiled against MingW 3.x, but
David Cournapeau is looking into upgrading to the latest MingW(-64) right now.

also (from some comments about problems a long time ago): I don't have
cygwin installed, so there is no confusion between cygwin and msys/mingw
paths possible.

Josef