Tryign to send mail via a python script by using the local MTA

Denis McMahon denismfmcmahon at gmail.com
Mon Sep 16 07:21:56 EDT 2013

On Mon, 16 Sep 2013 12:06:06 +0200, Joost Molenaar wrote:

> It's most likely an issue in your local SMTP server's configuration.

I'm not convinced about that. All the evidence is that OPs local mta
delivers the message to google. I think the issue is that google are
deciding the message is junk and dropping it in the bit recycling bin.

This is just as likely to be a feature of the random_char(50) subject and
random_char(500) message text as it is any local mta settings. I have no
idea what OPs random_char(x) does, but I also see no proof it doesn't
insert data that's illegal in subject or body. Even if it creates a
wholly valid message subject and body, it might look like something spammy
to google.

starttls suggests that whatever his mta is, it's using some form of auth
to communicate with gmail. It looks like his mail is delivered to the
google servers.

If he's trying to prove communication works, he might be better off using
a message subject of "test" and a message body of "this is a test
message".

Denis McMahon, denismfmcmahon at gmail.com