Tryign to send mail via a python script by using the local MTA

Joost Molenaar j.j.molenaar at gmail.com
Mon Sep 16 06:06:06 EDT 2013

> Look,
>
> i want this to stop.
> Open your own thread and discuss this if you like.
> This is a thread i opened for a specific question and all i see its
> irrelevant answers.

Hi Ferrous,

The problem is not in your Python code. You can debug it from the
command line by typing the 'echo ... | mailx' command your Python code
is executing.

Somewhere on your local SMTP or on Google's SMTP, your message is not
being processed the way you want it. There are many things that could
cause this -- SPF, DKIM, reverse DNS not being correct, the From
address being 'faked', or one of about a hunderd other factors. It's
most likely an issue in your local SMTP server's configuration. You'll
have to dive into the logs and do some research on how SMTP works
nowadays to find out what's happening.

But think about this: if I could send mail as nikos.gr33k at gmail.com,
just by typing a shell command, how could we ever trust e-mail to be
from who it really is? What if I send mail as
barack.obama at whitehouse.gov? What you're doing may look like spam from
Google's point of view, and that's why I think you're not receiving
the message.