Python GUI?

Metallicow metaliobovinus at gmail.com
Fri Sep 20 14:34:23 EDT 2013

On Wednesday, September 11, 2013 3:55:59 PM UTC-5, Eamonn Rea wrote:
> There are a few known GUI toolkits out there, and the main ones from what I can tell are:
>

> Tkinter -- Simple to use, but limited
>
> PyQT -- You have a GUI designer, so I'm not going to count that
>
> PyGTK -- Gnome officially back this I think
>
> wxPython -- Very nice, very professional, approved by Python creator, but alas hard to get started with
>

> So, what are your personal preferences and why? Why use X over Y?
>

> I, personally, really like wxPython, but I also really like Tkinter. I've messed with PyGTK, but I'd choose wxPython over it.
>

> Have you got anything to say on what one I should be using(excluding PyQT because it has a D&D designer >:( )? Is Tkinter really dead? Should I stick with wxPython?
>

> It's might be similar to the "What language to use" argument, or the "What background to code on" argument(I prefer darker backgrounds xD Please don't argue about this though!), in the sense that there is *no* answer, just preference.

I prefer wx over qt for these reasons.
Robin works for qt now. *Funny isn't it...*
Basically, To change qt(PySide) you need to pretty much need to be employed by qt, not the case with wx(is not a *For profit*, but you can donate.).
In my opinion, in the long run(foreseeing from this point forward)
    wx will win, because anybody can create a popular fork. And if it is good enough, it might get accepted into the standard dist also.

As far as "mature", well, the previous statement shows that he can make money doing it also and enjoy doing what he does in his spare time. I believe Guido has the privilege of spending half of his time "At work and getting paid for it." on python.
And Project Phoenix(Py2/3) is still on the way. We'll revisit this question next year.