Python GUI?

Dave Angel davea at davea.name
Fri Sep 13 22:05:41 EDT 2013

On 13/9/2013 15:37, eamonnrea at gmail.com wrote:

> I disagree with you. It's not hard, and I apologise if its ever sounded that way, but it is the fun part for me. I love spending hours(days even) debugging.
>
> Well, thanks all for depressing me. Time to give up programming and find something else to do with my life.

I expect that this thread has all been a troll, but on the off chance
that I'm wrong...

I spent 40+ years programming for various companies, and the only GUI
programs I wrote were for my personal use.  Many times I worked on
processors that weren't even in existence yet, and wrote my own tools to
deal with them.  Other times, there were tools I didn't like, and I
wrote my own to replace them.  One example of that is the keypunch.
Another is paper tape punch.  I was really glad to stop dealing with
either of those.

Still other times, tools were great, and I used them with pleasure.  If
the tool was flexible, I extended it.  And if it was limited, I
replaced it, or found a replacement.

Many times I've chosen a particular approach to solving a problem mainly
because it was something I hadn't done before.  On one project, I wrote
code whose job was to generate about 40,000 lines of C++ code that I
didn't feel like typing in, and maintaining afterward.  The data that
described what those lines should look like was under the control of
another (very large) company, and they could change it any time they
liked.  Most changes "just worked."

If you seriously can't find anything interesting to do in software, and
tools to do it with, then maybe you should take up fishing.  With a
bamboo pole and a piece of string.

--
DaveA