Python GUI?

Michael Torrie torriem at gmail.com
Sat Sep 14 00:03:19 EDT 2013

On 09/13/2013 12:23 PM, eamonnrea at gmail.com wrote:
> On Friday, September 13, 2013 4:02:42 AM UTC+1, Michael Torrie
> wrote:
>> On 09/12/2013 10:03 AM, eamonnrea at gmail.com wrote: I think your
>> hate of gui designers is about 10 years out of date now, even if
>> you still prefer not to use them.
>
> So, you are recommending not to code as much? :'( That is what
> depresses me. These "tools" depress me!

And some people think that automatic transmissions are depressing.  To
each his own.

> I don't understand why people don't want to code. It's time
> consuming: But that's the point!!! It *should* be time consuming. It
> *should* take time to make programs. Speed isn't the main thing, fun
> is. And these "tools" are taking the fun away.

And nothing in Gtk, Qt, Tk, wx, or any other modern toolkit prevents you
from declaratively creating your GUI.  And for small programs there's
nothing wrong with coding the gui by hand (and in fact I recommend it).

As complexity rises, though, I'd rather just code the creative parts of
things, and not busy-code, which is what gui code becomes.  Much of it
is boiler-plate, cut and pasted, etc.